INFO ALERT: Eviction Moratorium Extension Agreement

Posted February 3rd, 2021 | Status:

INFO ALERT – California Governor and Legislative Leaders announce agreement on Eviction Moratorium Extension through June 30, 2021.

This alert is to inform you that early this week, Governor Gavin Newsom and Legislative leaders signed off on an agreement to extend the current COVID-19 Eviction Moratorium past its expiration date of January 31, 2021 through June 20, 2021.

We have learned that due to the timing, both houses of the legislature have changed AB 15 (Chiu) to budget bill SB 91 (Committee on Budget) to alleviate certain rules and allow for a floor vote on Thursday January 28, 2021. The bill will also require a simple majority vote in both houses instead of the 2/3 needed to fast-track a measure.

Additionally, and because this measure is being moved through the process at this rate, BizFed is unable to organize an Executive Committee before the final vote. However, we do want to inform you of the movement and details below:

Top Line Points for SB 91 (Committee on Budget):

  • Extends eviction moratorium through June 30, 2021.
  • Utilizes $2.6 billion in federal relief funds for unpaid rent.
  • California would pay landlords up to 80% of unpaid rent should landlords agree to forgive remaining 20% and pledge not to evict.
  • If landlords refuse, the state will pay them 25% of tenant’s unpaid rent.
  • The plan covers unpaid rent between April 2020 and March 2021.
  • While SB 91 would give tenants more time to pay back rent, renters are responsible for a minimum 25% payment.
  • Owners will have to provide a new notice and tenants must return an attestation to owners declaring they have been negatively affected by COVID, and they must pay the 25% of the rent owed for the month.

Policy Manager
 

Related Alerts

In

See All Action Alerts
HTML Snippets Powered By : XYZScripts.com